On November 13, 2018, AxisWire held the first annual STAR Media Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada. The awards honored writers and publications for excellence in the world of cannabis journalism; an essential, yet often unrecognized part of the cannabis industry. It was a rare gathering of cannabis media giants, with almost every major cannabis industry publication in attendance.
Founded in 2018 and headquartered in Los Angeles, California, AxisWire is a technology platform aimed at connecting journalists and entrepreneurs by providing a suite of services ranging from press release writing and distribution to consulting and compliance.
The evening started off with a stirring and inspirational speech about how much cannabis publications and writers have advanced the cause of legalization. He also pointed out that with the explosive growth of the burgeoning cannabis industry, many of these companies are dependent on cannabis journalism to get the word out.
His words of gratitude towards the journalist were greatly appreciated by the audience; especially the cannabis journalists themselves, many of whom have beeen writting for years without any recognition. The event then transitioned to the awards ceremony, which was hosted by Green Market Report Co-Founder and CEO Deborah Borchardt.
A total of six cannabis publications and six cannabis journalists were honored with awards. The first annual STAR Media Awards winners were:
- Best Traditional Cannabis Publication (High Times)
- Best New Cannabis Publication (Green Entrepreneur)
- Best Cannabis Business Publication (MJ Biz Daily)
- Best Cannabis Print Publication (DOPE)
- Best Cannabis Culture Publication (Civilized)
- Best Cannabis Digital Publication (The Fresh Toast)
- Best Cannabis Culture Writer – Michelle Janikian (HERB, Playboy, Teen Vogue)
- Best Cannabis Cultivation Writer – Danny Danko (High Times)
- Best Cannabis Business Writer – Javier Hasse (Benzinga)
- Best Cannabis Main Stream Writer – Alex Halperin (The Guardian)
- Best Cannabis Freelance Writer – Sara Brittany Somerset (Forbes/Leafly)
- Best Social Media Impact In Cannabis – Garyn Angel (Magical Butter)