CYO NYSTROM – FOUNDER AND CEO, QUIM
What is your proudest accomplishment in the cannabis industry?
- Surviving! So many amazing brands in the cannabis industry have closed doors and it’s an honor to still be here.
- Also, we were recently sent some info from NewFrontier Data that showed Quim THC products as one of the top-selling topical brands in California which was so exciting!
- Do you feel that the cannabis industry has more opportunities for female-identifying people than other industries?
- Not necessarily but honestly, I’ve been working in the cannabis industry since 2015 so am probably a bit out of touch. As a personal-care company, I’m excited to share that the majority of founders I encounter are female-identifying but that’s definitely not the case in the cannabis industry.
- Do you feel you have to work twice as hard as male colleagues or do you think the industry has moved past that?
- Hmmm, this is a tough question and one I try not to dwell on much. I’ve never lived as a man so who knows what it’d be like? One of my favorite musical artists, Mikalya McVey just released a music video for her song “New Year” and there’s a lyric that perfectly sums this up— What would it be like to be a beautiful, young man? Sometimes I wonder but not too often because who’s got time for that??
- In my darker moments, I see male founders raise millions of dollars for businesses that are pre-revenue or for businesses that address male sexual health and feel a tinge of envy and resentment. But I try to release it as soon as I recognize it. My success or failure is my responsibility, which is both empowering and terrifying, but it’s mine.
- What was your biggest challenge in business and how did you overcome it?
- As a sexual wellness company that uses cannabinoids in our products, we’re up against two long-standing stigmas. The biggest challenge for Quim has been finding investors who believe in our mission and vision.
- What has you or your company done to help give more opportunities for women?
- Our products are designed to address intimate health issues experienced by people with vaginas (yeast infections, endometriosis, PCOS, UTIs, difficulty climaxing, etc). Through product creation, we’re supporting people with vaginas (not just female-identifying) in the quest to care for their own bodies in a way that makes sense for them. Our mission is to de-stigmatize and normalize subjects that have historically not been given enough attention. Through dispensary education, we’re giving women (and men) the opportunity to learn about vaginal health through a different lens, which has proven to be invaluable!
- What are your personal goals for 2022?
- Close our seed round. Launch 4 new products. Grow the team with essential new hires.